From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2024 21:30:05 -0500
>It was the only article ever published in both periodicals simultaneously,
so the editors and publishers of both magazines agreed that the message was
important.

We generally don't like to publish the same stories as our competition,
though it does happen occasionally. Sometimes it's because we do actually
consider the story to be that important, but just as often it's because
we're not aware that the other magazine is running it too.

Just this month I opened the July Bee Culture and was annoyed to see a
one-page story that also ran in our July issue. The woman who sent it in did
not tell me she'd also sent it there, and I'm guessing Jerry was not
informed of that either. Sometimes I'm suspicious and ask that question, but
not always, and the person submitting it is just happy to see it published.

A couple of years ago a regular BC contributor sent an article my way for
the first time. I said I'd be happy to look at it, but was curious why he'd
sent it to me instead of his usual magazine. He responded that the story was
so important to the industry that he felt both magazines should print it. It
wasn't, and I didn't.

Eugene Makovec

Editor, American Bee Journal