From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 19:24:18 -0600
>A new study on genetic diversity.  A feature of the data is that you can look up your state and see the lineage of your bees.

It will be interesting to see how the results of Dr. Harpur's ongoing evaluation compares (starting at about the 2 hour 12 minute mark of the attached video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqA_w951J8&t=10613s

He is focusing on bees a bit off the beaten path as much of the current research has focused on major producers.

If you are interested in participating, you can reach out as follows:

... Harpur and Andrew Patterson of the University of Georgia have funds to sequence 100-200 colonies from each state. The goal is to quantify genetic diversity of bees across the country, search for unique genotypes, and find out where unwanted genotypes may have spread or have the potential to spread.

“We're hoping to get samples of honey bee workers from colonies representative of local stocks in your area,” Harpur said. He said they seek feral colonies, colonies from long-established bee yards or breeding operations, or colonies from local breeders. They have plenty of samples from major breeding operations around the country, so they don't need samples from new packages sourced from outside your state.

Harpur encourages applicants to ask if they think their samples might work. If your samples match those criteria, Harpur and Patterson ask for a tube of bees in alcohol sent to the lab at Purdue in Indiana. The bees should be collected from inside the colony.

“For any interested, please email me and I can send an example and some advice on collection in a follow-up email,” Harpur said. His direct email is [log in to unmask] and he can also be reached at [log in to unmask]

Submitters should pay shipping and fill out some information about your samples (latitude/longitude, source of colonies, etc.) in the sampling sheet. “You'll receive a report on your samples at the end of the experiment. If you are uncertain if you match those criteria (or if you do not), let me know what you've got and maybe we can work them in,” he said.