From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2024 12:32:27 -0400
This is a worthy topic for discussion! How do beekeepers with brains and eyes and experience deal with an existential threat to their livelihood or serious hobby when the powers that be chose to hide behind bureaucratic regulation rather then address the problem? The national organizations seem more interested in not doing anything that might jeopardize the beneficial aid programs that the industry enjoys. We are encouraged to contact our congressional representatives but mainly to get more aid in the farm bill. I have been a dues paying member of the ABF for over 25 years. Each year they solicit suggestions for resolutions and on several occasions I have suggested that we request and amendment to the label for OA that would permit an application that has been proven to be safe and effective, namely OAE. The only response is a condescending pat on the head and a "thank you for your interest". In the hallways of the same meetings everyone shares their methods with a wink and a nod.

The smuggling of illegal amatraz is harder to justify since there is a legal product available (albeit one that is failing). But the issue is economic on one side and regulatory on the other. I do not believe that the safety of the bees, beekeepers or the environment are the central concern.

I heartily commend Randy for his ongoing efforts. He has tried reason based on research and methods  approved in other country's. He has campaigned for action on the part of the industry and has tried every avenue to get the powers that be to respond to his arguments. It has been a lonely fight.

Sometimes civil disobedience is a rational response.

Paul