Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:55:39 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
>Seems a lot easier and the result more scientifically sound to stock these locations and track them then to depend on the chance of finding them in the isolated locations mentioned.

No argument on balance - I'd only clarify that I suspect an 'all of the above' approach will get us to a genetically stable solution in the most efficient manner.

There is little doubt that in much of the US there is significant panmictic mixing of managed and feral stocks, and that both are impacting each other genetically.

As we make a concerted effort towards selecting for resistance in our managed stocks, this will assist in moving the population at-large towards more sustainable outcomes.

In the meantime, identification and evaluation of materially-isolated feral stocks will both yield clues about emerging resistance characteristics being honed by Natural Selection while also potentially offering genetic source stock to introduce into managed populations.

This is what the Heartland Honey Bee Breeders Cooperative is doing - finding isolated feral stock, evaluating it for suitability in managed operations and back- crossing it with managed genetics (i.e. Purdue Mite Biters) to develop resistant and productive stocks.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2