From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2023 18:55:59 +0000
Correction   Iridescent concretions are often a clear indication of the presence of an iridescent virus.  Most honey bee viruses are small, RNA viruses.  The Iridescent viruses are large, DNA viruses.  All iridescent viruses are donate as IIV (invertebrate iridescent virus followed by a number.  The number indicates the chronological order in which they were discovered, verified, and reported.

Thus, IIV-3 occurs in mosquitoes.  It was of great interest as a bio-control, but it was too virulent and difficult to maintain.  Biocontrol investigations shifted to a toxic protein produced by IIV-3.  IIV-6 is the type specimen, found in wax moth.  IIV-24 is the IIV found in Apis ceranae.  We found an IIV variant, with some attributes of IIV-6, IIV-3, and IIV-24 in all CCD colonies that we sampled and that were analyzed by the US Army laboratory at Edgewood.

Jerry