From:
Joe Komperda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:07:12 +0000
  >> The nurse bees don't recognize the function of a queen excluder, and if there is brood up to the excluder, they will prepare a dome of cells above the excluder in preparation for the queen to lay in.

Exactly! That was the point of my earlier post - Randy just stated it in a more understandable way...

My experience shows that if I want to run 2 deeps with a Flow Chamber, I put the new flow chamber on top of the first drawn out deep early in the season to get the bees to put comb in new Flow frames.

Once the dome is in place, remove the Flow chamber & put on your second deep.

If it is already drawn out, let the bees begin to fill the 2nd deep with brood and/or nectar then add the flow super to get extractable honey.

That is the way I have been able to get my clients' and my colonies' to use the Flow Chamber -- Otherwise the bees have ignored the Flow Chamber.  Of course if the Flow Chamber has drawn wax, I put it on when I would put on "standard" drawn out supers.

Not saying it will work for everyone but it has worked for me and it is worth a try if the bees are ignoring your Flow Chambers...

Joe Komperda

Parker, CO US

303.304.6459

HappyBusyBees.com