From:
pilgrimz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:00:27 +0000
> Last year multiple of my colonies (insulated) made it through winter
> (robustly I might add) with a 2'' long, 2/3'' high (inches) hole only the bottom (no upper vent).

> Same results and same zone but near Chicago.
>
> R-6 sides, R-26 top, only ventilation through lower entrance and open
> screened bottom board.
>
> 13 of 13 colonies made through the winter on ~30lb stores each.

Similar results for me last winter as well.  Just west of Richmond, VA.
No treatments on 10 colonies derived from swarms. 7/10 survived winter.

All hives had 2" under customized telescoping cover.  Plastic inner covers with no top vents.

2 colonies made with 2x lumber.
1 polystyrene hive.
4 hives with permanently installed R10 on all sides.

Chris