From:
Joe Komperda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2022 21:53:10 +0000
> A workaround is covering the central area of the frame tops with a loose sheet of plastic film about 14 by 16 inches. A few sticks about 1/4" thick across frame tops allows the bees to circulate underneath from frame to frame. It has the added benefit of preventing any drips from above falling on the bees and maintains the bees' warm moist atmosphere beneath.

I do something similar by disassembling an inner cover and replacing the plywood wheet with a clear acrylic sheet providing a see through inner cover. I can take off the outer cover and immediately make some visual assessments. My wife sews felt sheets together and we stuff them with wool or alpaca hair cuttings (that aren't long enough to make into yarn) to provide some top insulation on the acrylic inner cover... Rarely, if ever, have I seen moisture condensation on the acrylic during quick winter checks but then again we have a very dry, arid climate in the Denver, CO US area. Although condensation doesn't seem to be a problem here, it might be a problem in areas with more winter humidity.

Joe Komperda

Parker, CO, US

HappyBusyBees.com