From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2022 22:23:45 +0000
I am among the tiny minority who both glue and screw box joints rather than using nails.  Yes, this requires drilling out each hole to enlarge it, but the longer service life of the box is gratifying, even when one's boxes are being slung around by teenagers.

I started screwing boxes decades ago, and they are still holding together.  One mistake that those who glue boxes and frames together is that they use Elmer's white glue or the cheaper Titebond, neither of which are moisture proof.
One of the reasons I chose Malcolm Sanford and Richard Bonney's book for our Apprentice classes is that they are about the only ones who pointed out the advantage of nails/screws horizontally inserted under the ears of the top bars.  That with a spot of Titebond III glue holds the frames together.