Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 3 May 2023 19:29:36 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Losing one colony doesn't constitute a catastrophe. I am happy I have pinned down the cause. Understanding the reason is the next step. Someone did share a recent story of a bee belching colony, where they observed the bees under a microscope and noticed the same cysts (late infection cycle visual) and sent samples to UoFl for testing and got a positive. Mission accomplished for me. A couple of Canadian research have also received a bit of money to do a study on the prevalence of Amoeba in Canadian apiaries. (Hint: contact the lab at Beaverlodge NBDC if you suspect Amoeba/Nosema).

Here is a quote from the article I was asking for from 1926 by Dr Prell. It is sad that an article from 1926 is still stuck behind a paywall.

"Maassen has already described the course of the disease as an astonishing dying out of stocks. It can be given at greater length as in a letter of Morgenthaler's: "This disease shows itself therein, that stocks, which have apparently wintered well and are promising at the end of March, become steadily weaker in April and May in spite of having good brood, and finally wholly die out. Crawlers or dead bees are mostly not observed. Where the bees disappear to SEEMs inexplicable." Besides this, there is often a soiling of the alighting board, and even of the inside of the hive, by faces containing cysts. On account of the striking and remarkable weakening of the stocks in April and May the sickness is known in Switzerland as Frühjahrs schwindsucht, or shortly as Schwindsucht ["(spring) disappearing disease,"
Dr Prell 1926
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m37X4RY_01_9PWRtlWcr3pbpgf5swRDH/view?usp=share_link