Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2022 23:06:46 +0000
From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
>nobody has identified "hygienic genes"...

We're getting closer:

https://academic.oup.com/gbe/article/11/3/937/5318327?login=false

Genomic contrasts allowed us to identify a minimum of 73 genes tentatively associated with hygienic behavior. Many genes were within previously discovered QTLs associated with hygienic behavior and were predictive of hygienic behavior within the unselected population. These genes were often involved in neuronal development and sensory perception in solitary insects. We found that genes associated with hygienic behavior have evidence of positive selection within honey bees (Apis), supporting the hypothesis that social immunity contributes to fitness. Our results indicate that genes influencing developmental neurobiology and behavior in solitary insects may have been co-opted to give rise to a novel and adaptive social immune phenotype in honey bees.