From:
Russ Litsinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2023 22:12:12 +0000
>I asked:  Is there a correlation between mite susceptible bees and amitraz resistant mites?

 While this is by no means exhaustive, here are three recent publications tying a few of these threads together

Investigating amitraz resistance in French varroa mite (Varroa destructor) populations - Veto Pharma Blog<https://www.blog-veto-pharma.com/us/investigating-amitraz-resistance-in-french-varroa-mite-varroa-destructor-populations/>

Take-Away: ... these results do not imply that amitraz resistance in French varroa mite populations does not exist. However, our results strongly suggest that the mechanisms leading to the expression of amitraz resistance in varroa mites are much more complex compared with tau-fluvalinate and coumaphos resistance development in varroa mite populations.

Population genetics of ectoparasitic mites Varroa spp. in Eastern and Western honey bees<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6712951/>

Take-Away: Our data confirm previously described mite haplogroups, and show three novel haplotypes. Multiple infestations of single host colonies by both mite species and introgression of alleles between V. destructor and V. jacobsonii suggest that hybridization occurs between the two species. Our results indicate that host specificity and population genetic structure in the genus Varroa is more labile than previously thought.

Population genetics and host specificity of Varroa destructor mites infesting eastern and western honeybees<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8549952/>

Take-Away: At a finer phylogenetic scale, we showed that V. destructor is subdivided into several haplogroups and variants, which have apparently undergone distinct evolutionary pathways in line with the geographic mosaic theory of coevolution (Thompson 2005). These pathways have led to populations of low or high genetic diversity.