From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:50:57 -0500
> those that do report their crops are self-selecting

In (limited) defense of the authors of the paper, the "NASS" data cited is the result the survey that comes in the mail from the USDA with the somewhat comical warning that "Your Response Is Required By Law" (see attached photo, showing that I got into trouble AGAIN this year, as my reply was "overdue" - cut me some slack, I was out of the country).

I can only image what might happen if I did not respond at all - "All right, Fischer, this is the USDA Swat Team! We've got the building surrounded, come out holding your hive tool above your head!"

But I'm going to assume that the beekeepers randomly selected for the survey (and I get one about every other year) all respond, as we are not the sort to refuse a reasonable request.