Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2024 01:02:53 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
I have purchased pure Minnesota Hygienic queens from Georgia, Louisiana and Ohio.  So, what is it that makes a Georgia queen a Georgia queen?  Or a Louisiana queen a Louisiana queen?  Were those MH queens from Georgia Georgia queens?  Or suppose I find out I have a commercial bee keeper with one of his yards one mile from my mating yard.  In a couple of generations am I just breeding whatever that commercial guy runs regardless of where my queens came from.
If you are running 1000 hives you can have a very effective breeding program.  On some really easy trait like average honey production you may even make decent progress with 50 hives.  If you either know a great deal about genetics or nothing at all about genetics you can do ok.  If your knowledge base is intermediate you probably can not design a breeding program that will work.  When I say a great deal one measure is if you can tell me what the Gibbs free energy difference between the keto and enol forms of adenine tells you about T->C errors.   If you are raising a dozen or so queens in your backyard each year (like I do) you have no breeding program at all.  You are simply raising queens.  By the way, there is not a thing in the world wrong with just raising queens.
Dick

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2