From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:26:56 -0500
Hi all
 I have mentioned this before but when I worked at the University Bee Lab I was subject to a slew of regulations that most farmers and beekeepers don't have to deal with. That doesn't mean that those jobs are safer, simply that they are not regulated by NYS. I had to get pesticide applicator's training and one time I had to get fitted for a respirator. They insisted that I shave (they let me keep a mustache and a goatee). All of these regs were required because of the routine use of miticides and herbicides, most of which were relatively innocuous.

At one point, however, we made our own formic acid pads by moving acid from a barrel into ziplock bags. I had to weigh the product which means it was on a scale in a fume hood, making the risk of spill rather high. Additionally I had to weigh a splash shield, heavy gloves and a raincoat. It occurred to me it would have been a lot safer with the scale on the ground in the parking lot. So, yes, some of the precautions are onerous, overkill, and potentially worse than none at all.

Decades ago, I used to repack carbolic acid from barrels into gallon cans at a bee supply store. Nobody talked about safety. Just because I was trying to be cautious, I kept a pail of water at hand. (Not wearing gloves). Inevitably I spilled some on my hand. I immediately plunged the hand into the water but it was already badly burned, a giant blister already formed. We sold this and other chemical to anyone with money, offered zero safety instructions. I was relieved when the govt. stopped us from selling carbolic (phenol), chlordane, EDB, etc.

PLB