From:
David Harrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:16:12 -0400
We still have pockets of Linden as we call them here in Philadelphia. The beekeepers who are near them generally get a good crop of Linden honey.

I just realized that there’s about a dozen of them along a major road about a mile from two of my apiaries, so I may be getting Linden honey too without realizing it.

Looking at those trees it seems that there’s at least two kinds. One comes up on iNaturalist as Basswood and the other as little-leaf linden. The little-leaf is blooming now but the others look to be a week away or so.

Tree of Heaven or Ailanthus is blooming right now so I guess I’ll harvest some Linden of Heaven honey in a few weeks. Does anyone have any idea what Ailanthus honey is like on its own? Later in the season we may get Lantern Fly Honeydew honey which has a very odd taste to my palate although many people around her like it a lot.

David Harrod (he/him)