From:
Nancy Wicker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2023 21:34:28 -0400
This won't help you at the moment, but I keep a package of queen mandibular pheromone plastic vials in my freezer for this sort of situation.  Just pop one in a hive that is inconveniently queenless and the colony stays in a pseudo-queenright state for a few weeks until you can fix things up without having to deal with laying workers.  Two vials for about 8 or 9 bucks are cheap insurance and I find they stay effective for a couple of years if stored below 0 F.  I even re-freeze them and then bring them back out for a second round if the first use is very short. That seems to work OK.

I have also fiddled around using QMP when LW are actually established and it seemed to arrest the double egq laying maladaption after a couple of weeks, and I was successful removing the QMP and reintroducing a frame with eggs from another hive and the bees created ordinary emergency queen cells on it. I was just experimenting for the heck of it, and many beekeepers wouldn't put the resources into it.

Adding a frame of open brood every week for 3 or so weeks also seems to work in reversing LW.  It just depends on what your plans for the eventual colony of old foragers by the time you can get it QR again.

One other thought about the double eggs: is it possible that you have a newly-mated queen in the colony. Often the a new queens first efforts are a bit inept.

Nancy