Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2022 18:36:07 -0500
Sender:
From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
> "http://www.culturaapicola.com.ar/wiki/index.php/Portada"
> What was the problem that it ended?

Doing a multipull from archive.org, and diffing each of the output pages against each other, the beekeeping homepage was up until March 4 2016.
The page then redirected to "http://www.culturaapicola.com.ar/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi" which says "account suspended contact your hosting provider".

As the "suspended" page is within the correct domain, this means that the admin simply did not pay for hosting, but DNS for the domain was still working.

In 2017 to 2018, the domain was used by the "Las Perdices Electric Cooperative", which has since moved to https://www.telecelp.com.ar
In 2019, the domain was "for sale".
In 2020 it became an online/mobile gambling game review blog.

This is the problem with "the web" - it is very ephemeral, and very much a moving target.  Local backups are wise. The late Dave Cushman asked me, and apparently a few others to make regular backups of his site so that it would survive his passing, or perhaps a war in Europe, but the transition to a new caretaker smoothly.

But keeping one's own backups is also a chore.  I had to copy my personal backups several times, from 6250bpi "archival" 3M Blackwatch reel-to-reel tape (which can suffer bit-rot due to magnetic degradation) to CDs (which suffer bit-rot due to corrosion and surface coating degradation) and then to terabyte drives, which have gotten nothing but cheaper, faster, and higher density, which permits one to prudently and cheaply write to 2 or 3 Terrabyte drives no larger than a pack of cigarettes, leave them unplugged and in safe places for several years, copying them to new drives when they go on sale.  My most valuable assets are in the form of 1s and 0s, so forgive my obsessiveness about backups.

I am very fond of the Seagate Backup Plus Portable 2TB, as it presents a USB 3 interface, but if you remove the plastic shell, inside you find a SATA interface, from which the USB adapter can be unplugged.  (For the non-geeks, SATA is faster and much more gooder, and also plugs straight into most all RAID array chassis to get snapshots of one's current "working image").