Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:15:50 -0500
Sender:
From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
>   corn syrup, water. Should there bee any concern on how the corn syrup
> was made?   Thinking overheating of syrup during constitution.

> Corn syrup has been around forever for cooking. So do not worry about the corn syrup.

Not so fast, you do NOT want to get it too hot when heating (or resolidifying, if you had it "jell up" on you).  This 2009 study showed serious increases in HMF at temps as low as 120 degrees, well within the "warm up the mix" temperatures commonly used in preparing bee feeds.  (I can't find the full paper, I know I read it, but that was over a decade ago...)

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090826110118.htm

>> HFCS once was an issue but that had everything to do with how it was produced and heat was not an issue.

True - but it was never made clear how many producers were using the "chlor-alkali" method, and also not explained how/if/when the levels of mercury that resulted were toxic to bees or brood. Yes, mercury in ANY amount is no longer tolerated, but it would have been nice to know the actual impact.  We beekeepers were left with nothing but rumors.

That said, one of my toys in the 1960s was a sealed plastic maze with a clear top that one would tilt this way and that to maneuver a large droplet of mercury to the center of the maze, and I grew up in a family well-versed in the sciences. Nowadays, if a mercury thermometer is broken in a USA high-school chem lab, the cleanup is done by people in bio-hazard level 2 or 3 protective gear reminiscent of the movie "Andromeda Strain", and my toy would be considered a "Weapon of Mass Destruction", when it was intended as a "Toy of Mild Distraction".