Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:22:18 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I found an interesting Chapter on Epigenetics in a book from 2020. I don't know how I overlooked it:

> Science has discovered epigenetic processes in both plants and animals. Epigenetics is important to this study of the emergence of morality in nature because it is an additional tool that species can use to enhance personal capabilities. Species can use epigenetics to optimize their existence and perhaps that of their offspring. ... 

> While it is true that both flowers and honeybees have evolved during this relationship, their social group has also endured, and they continue to thrive as a group, making decisions towards the preservation of their social group, while using also restraint in their actions towards each other. If morality in a single social group can endure for a million years or more, this should give humanity pause to consider how important morality can be to species and their relationship to others in the greater ecology.

Ketcham, Christopher. Flowers and Honeybees : A Study of Morality in Nature, BRILL, 2020. 

comment: I guess this guy has never seen bees robbing the socks off a weak colony. 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2