Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:00:46 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
* Having worked in the industry both making packages as well as buying and installing them, I have no objection to their use. In fact, these excerpts from the ABJ from 1923 says it best:

THREE-BAND ITALIANS ONLY. BRED FOR BUSINESS.  A 2-pound package of the Yancey Hustlers, with a select untested queen, for $5.00; 25 or more, $4.75 each. Attractive prices on large.

ยง

The two-pound packages seem be the ideal. One shipper sent through hundreds of them with little more than a handful of dead bees in any package. It was a pleasure to see these big truck loads of bees clustered quietly in their cages. 

One man received a shipment on April 17, in a snowstorm. He took them home, hived them in his basement on combs in ten-frame hives. These he kept for one month and sold them at $20 a colony, and they were the best buy of any colonies that I krew of. They all secured big crops of honey and the buyers, being mostly beginners, were delighted. 

Packages arriving at this time, time, when the wintered-over colonies come from the cellar, gain rapidly on the strong wintered-over ones, and by June 1 they are on an even footing, and sometimes the packages are the best. 

* I think I may try my hand at that. If a package costs $160 I should be able to sell a good single for 4 times that ...

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2