From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 18:54:22 +0000
<PLB: Hey, all of you using the just released phone app (trade name redacted) that was funded by kickstarter, is it working for you? I found it simple enough to use, but ... >

Rather than post about this on Bee-L with the but... , anyone interested or anyone involved in our app testing should go to the original information source:  www.beehealth.guru.
This site is a Bulletin Board that I (Jerry) set up in 2017 when I expected it to take 90 days to launch an app.  Two years later, we're finally there, with 653 backers.
To encourage information sharing, provide guidance, and for transparency about our phone app - this site is open to viewing by anyone.

My long-term plans are for this site to also become a place, in addition to Bee-L, for Informed Bee Discussions, with Moderators.

Everyone on Bee-L is welcome to view, and everyone is welcome to Sign Up.  By Signing Up (registering,) you will be able to see all of the content, participate in Discussions, and post things like upcoming events, the contacts for local area beekeeping clubs and associations, etc.
I'm also looking for Topic moderators.   Like Bee-L, my objective is to provide practical experience and science-based information, not unsubstantiated opinions.
I have about 200 Graduates of our Master Level Beekeeping classes who have been asking for something like this.  I always point them to Bee-L.  But Bee-L can be intrusive, constantly sending emails.  On www.beehealth.guru registered members can choose to subscribe to none or any of the various Topic Forums.
For anyone who visits or joins our BB, please note that one of our Master Class Project Groups is building a directory of Beekeeping Clubs and Associations.  There's a place holder Forum Topic already in place.  I do have a volunteer to moderate that topic, and I have the lists of clubs that they've assembled to date.  We're discussing the best format for posting.
A couple of comments, type the entire URL to reach this site:  www.beehealth.guru.  Drop the www, and Go Daddy will try to sell you a domain.  Use anything other than .guru, such as .com, .net, .org and the site won't load.
If you register, it may take a day or so before you can log in to Post.  We've already had a run on the site from the Russian hackers - for the most part, our blocks prevented entry; but a couple slipped through and I banned them permanently.  The computer filters block most spammers, but eye's on provides a two-step filter.  I manually approve new registrants on a daily basis.
If you were not part of the Kickstarter project, you won't be able to download the bee health guru kickstarter version of the app, which has been released for testing and tuning.
We are working on setting up a means for others to join our testing and tuning citizen science project.
Finally, my sincere thanks to Randy Oliver and his folks who scanned 83 colonies and then provided the mite counts.  That's the type of input that we critically need to tune this app for accuracy.
Using the app and not uploading inspection reports serves no one.  We need users to record, let the app analyze, visually inspect to accept or reject the app's initial analyses, and upload (it takes the click of one button) the information so we can use the results in an iterative process to tune the app.  Obviously, we will be sorting for those data sets that got it right (e.g, queenless, or mite level) and those that got it wrong.  Then we will use those data sets to re-train the app.

Want to talk about the app or just follow along, join us at www.beehealth.guru.
Thanks
Jerry