From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2019 06:58:35 -0500
a couple of Pete B snips followed by > my comment..

Of course not. Those people are intelligent beekeepers who are applying knowledge and principles to large scale beekeeping.

>Well that is good to know but as I have stated earlier the term to me is not that well defined and consequently may mean anything to most folks. About a decade ago I compared the varroa problem to AFB and thought that any reasonable 'genetic' solution could only be brought about via someone who had access to large numbers of hives. Consequently anyone with a handful of hives (or even a hunted for that matter) was fooling themselves to think they could resolve this problem via a breeding program.

And also no,-- non-management is not a form of management any more than non-living is a form of living.

>I am not certain this example would work for me Pete, although I respect your point of view.  A think a better example is even a non decision is a decision and the same applies to a management plan.  I would suggest that for some 'doing nothing' is not such a bad idea, IF it aligns with their purpose. As a real world example... anyone that has one hive in the midst of a small garden ploy to insure pollination. Obviously these same folks are not trying to 'save the bees' < the term being about the least thoughtful idea I have ever heard.

>As I have stated before I am pretty much a utilitarian beekeeper and all of the warm fuzzy feeling about bees really does not speak to me at all.

Gene in Central Texas..