From:
Seth Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:32:33 -0500
A Randy and a OP snip followed by my comments
"2. Is it ethical for a migratory beekeeper to overwinter 200 colonies immediately adjacent to an existing apiary owned by a local beekeeper without permission or even consultation?"

"As far as another beekeeper setting down on top of an established beekeeper, we are currently in the process of making such unethical action
illegal in our county"

Speaking purely from an ethics point of view , not a beekeeping one

I would respond with is it ethical for the local beekeeper to set things up so that their livestock is grazing on the immediately adjacent land with out fairly compensating the land owner?   If the adjacent land owner was being fairly compensated for the use of their land there would be no need or wish to rent out to the 200.

In one of my yards I sit on 5 acres next to hundreds of acres of pasture with rabbit brush on it. My view is it would be unfair to block the landowner form renting pasture space on their land do to some one else renting to me. I see no grounds for me to claim exclusive beekeeping rights over property I don't have rights or an agreement to.

Seth C