Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:45:23 -0700
From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Discovered by Prof. John Hafernik at SFSU in San Francisco, 2008, then reeearch pursued by two graduate students, go to zombeewatch.org for a map and details.

They don’t kill the colonies, so nobody takes it seriously, but with estimating numbers similar to what you are getting, I estimate a 10-15% population loss, with the season being determined by rain, cold, drought, etc.

In San Francisco, I have had to move 5 apiaries because they end up being pesky to the neighbors. We have few bugs here, so few people have window screens to keep them out on the ocassioal hot night in Summer.

Put them into a jar, use a coffee filter rubber banded as a lid, geotag them with a smartphone photo, wait a week for the tan, football shaped larval packet, geotag photo the larval packets, then wait another week for the Apocephalus borealis (Zombee) flies to hatch out. One more geotag photo of the flies will earn you a red dot on your zip code.

Citizen Science helps!

Robert MacKimmie
415-722-7640