Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2020 23:11:14 -0000
From:
Beekeepers <[log in to unmask]>
Here in the UK we run most of our colonies on single brood boxes with British National frames.

The boxes hold 11 frames but that leaves a space where we can put a dummy board.  This works so well.  Options are to remove the dummy board making a good space into which the first frame can be moved, or using the hive tool between either the first and second, or second and third frame which moves the dummy board towards the end wall and creates space.

When the colony is expanding well (perhaps April or early May here) we often find queens on the first or second frame, so these are always removed gently and placed either at the entrance or the side of the hive (out of the sun) so that the queen can run back in if we have failed to spot her (although they often sit quietly on the comb).  I am not keen on putting these frames in holding boxes as a queen may the run off the comb around the walls of the box.

The greatest danger comes from pulling a frame that has drone comb built on the bottom bar, as the wider comb can roll bees and more importantly queens unless care is taken.  We have eliminated this problem by using mesh floors and reducing the height of the entrance to 7mm so that no drone comb is built below the frames.

It is distressing to see how many 'experienced' beekeepers just pull frames out of the brood box quickly without any regard to the damage they are causing.  The problem does not just apply to the first frame removed; any frame will have bees and may have a queen between the side bar and the wall, so care always needs to be taken to lift frames out cleanly.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W