Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2020 12:38:50 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Randy writes in his Feb '20 article

If you want to get into a fruitless debate,
ask some beekeepers their _opinions_
on providing hive ventilation
during winter. As noted by Southwick
and Moritz,23 perhaps we should listen
to the “opinion” of the bees:

Many experienced beekeepers know
about the value of a top ventilation hole
and maintain such an opening throughout
the year. However such extra entrances
are usually closed with propolis by the bees.

I agree with the first paragraph, it's fruitless. But the second part, that simply is not true. While I have had one or two hives over the years build a propolis curtain over the bottom entrance, I have never seen them try to close auger hole entrances, which I have in every hive, and also quite a few supers (these got bored when that particular super wound up spending the winter on a hive).

plb