From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 05:55:42 -0700
> OTC (oxytetracycline) alone does not offer a cure, it only suppresses
symptoms of EFB (and AFB for that matter). Once the course is over, your
rebloom rate will be high as the bacterium remains infective in stores.

We don't observe the above as far as EFB in our apiaries in California.  We
used to not worry about EFB, since it would go away of its own accord once
there was a good nectar and pollen flow.  A number of years ago, it
appeared that novel strains had evolved/appeared, that did not go away.  In
our experience, OTC has been quite effective to eliminate signs of disease
(dying brood) for the long term.  We don't observe a rebloom. in the same
season, nor in the next season.  I don't have an explanation for why
Janet's experiences are so different.

On the other hand, we have a zero tolerance policy with AFB, and burn
without a second thought.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA