Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2019 08:58:57 -0400
>  Large and very tall (bigger is better, right?) hives seem to be the preference of a lot of northern beekeepers.

I am not sure what the implication is here. Right now, most of my colonies are in two deeps and four mediums. The mediums are mostly full of honey. They are not tall because I prefer them that way, but because they need that much room to make a 100# plus crop. If I had kept them in three deeps, say, what would be the advantage to that? We hear reports of swarming in September; I assume the swarms come from hives that didn't get enough supers.

PLB