From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2019 14:35:50 -0400

> If trends are all you care about, this detail is not relevant other than
> to have a stable and repeatable front pivot point.
>
> Wouldn't it still matter though?

If I'm comparing the weight loss of two hives over winter, and both hives
start with their weight evenly distributed in the center of the bottom box,
and I establish a pivot point that is exactly center, if one hive has a
cluster that moves toward the front of the box, and the other hive has the
cluster that moves toward the back of the box, they'll give very different
weight loss readings over time.

It seems to me that if the weight was not balanced and remains not balanced
(in the same direction), or if the weight is balanced and remains balanced,
having a stable and repeatable pivot point matters. But once it moves from
balanced to not balanced, or not balanced in one direction to not balanced
in another direction, the repeatable pivot point is immaterial. Or am I
missing something?