Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2019 18:39:55 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
a Beekeepers snip followed by > my comments 
I will look hard at these in future, but my gut feeling is that what I would consider to be supersedure cells are never built from worker cells - the structure is just totally different.  Perhaps the race of bee is significant here?

>First the location of the cell (side wall vs the bottom of the frame) would make this determination either easy or difficult to distinguish <ie side wall easy but bottom of frame not so much.  Secondly you can (I have) moved frames around in lightly populated 4 to 5 frame nuc boxes and inadvertently created superscedure cells on rare occasions < this typically also require a bit of environmental stress of either significant fluctuating in temperature or nectar flow). After witnessing this happen several times I began to suspect a lot of novice who report superscedure and make the claim the queen is faulty have made exactly the same mistake < with the mistake being flipping an outside frame and not noticing a small patch of eggs on the side of the frame the tis flipped to the outside position in the nuc box.

>As to your question... it would seem reasonable to me that some races of bees (we essentially rear mutts here in the US) might respond to stress in different fashions and to different degrees.

Gene hunkered down on the left coast but no tremors.... yet!      

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2