From:
Alexander Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2019 15:50:20 -0400
This year is my first experience with EFB.

I've read that the use of OTC will damage the natural gut flora of the winter bees.  I've been using Terra-pro, which is sold by Mann lake.

In my particular agricultural zone (5a/5b) winters are long and difficult.  Damaging gut flora seems like a bad option.

EFB only affects uncapped brood, so assuming the winter bees can be formed without EFB, the broodless period from mid October through January should render the fall EFB treatment unnecessary.

Am I missing something here?  OTC is not stored in the food, as it breaks down readily in the presence of moisture.  After mere months, any effective dose of OTC in honey is degraded.

1.  Would a fall treatment for EFB actually help in northern climates with defined broodless periods?

2.  Is there a significant risk of OTC tolerance is the treatment is applied multiple times throughout the short northern season (e.g., if there is a re-bloom in a month from now)?

3.  Is there any information on the upper limit of OTC dosages, or the effects?