From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2021 13:49:30 -0400
> "Atkins" cite is just the Dadant Beekeeping Supply Catalog's hobbyist reference "The Hive and the Honeybee", 1975 edition

"The Hive and the Honey Bee" is "just a hobbyist reference"? From the 1975 Forward:

> Special mention is made here of Chapter IV by the late Dr. R. E. Snodgrass, a world authority on the anatomy and physiology of insects. His work on honey bee anatomy still stands as the recognized reference standard and therefore is reproduced here as it appeared in the previous edition of The Hive and the Honey Bee. In this revised edition of The Hive and the Honey Bee, new authors have been selected and new chapters added, in an attempt to present an up-to-date world wide picture of beekeeping, suitable for practical as well as classroom reference.

ยง

I have the 740 page book in front of me and it is clearly not aimed at "the hobbyist." The authors are Chapter 1. Eva Crane; 2. F. Ruttner; 3. C.G. Butler; 4. R.E. Snodgrass; 5. Alfred Dietz; 6. G.H. Cale, Jr. and W.C. Rothenbuhler; 6. N.E. Gary;  etc. Chapter 10, by W. A. Stephen, is title "For the Beginner."

Whereas, Chapter 11 is clearly aimed at the large scale operator and is co-authored by Jim Powers of Powers Apiaries, which at the time was one of the largest beekeeping operations in North America. Powers was also at that time, the president of the Honey Industry Council of America.

Clearly not a booked targeting beginners, but a compendium of the best work available at the time. Subsequent versions have maintained this level of excellence and have consistently called upon the acknowledged experts in the field. I am restraining myself from any further comment.

PLB