From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2020 18:14:47 -0700
I have little experience with installing package bees (I sometimes sell,
but don't use myself).
A 1-lb package sure seems small to me, and I agree with all the points that
James Fischer made.
One possible way to reduce drift would be to do what queen producers do
when making up baby nucs for mating queens -- they install the bees and a
queen cell, then hold the nucs, closed but with a vent open, for a couple
of days in a cold room in order to develop a colony scent and
cohesiveness.  Only then set them out and allow them to fly.  It may be a
good idea to wait 'til dusk to do so.
If you try this, please let me know if it works!

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450
ScientificBeekeeping.com