From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2020 06:42:33 +0000
>Like I said, wasps and many species of bees (Melipona) build the brood combs with the opening at the bottom. The larvae don't fall out.

And of course neither do queen larvae.

A fish biologist knew told of looking into the water from a bridge and
seeing a large number of catfish nests.  Catfish make nests out of small
stones, individually they are circular, but on this occasion because of
the number crowded together they were hexagonal.

Cracking mud some times takes on the hexagonal shape as does basalt.
The Devils Causeway is spellbinding.  We have some minor examples
locally.

Geoff Manning