From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2020 00:26:27 -0400
Learning to inspect while not rolling, squishing, or losing the queen in the grass should be high on the list of topics for courses, intro afternoons, and hive side mentoring...it is not rocket science but it does point up how critical having an informed mentor can be. It is a shame anyone would defer inspections, which are not just important for the bees, but important for the beekeeper (in terms of skill improvement and confidence).

I suggest to newbees that they acquire a frame perch and/or a quiet box a la Billy Davis. Both make it easier to inspect alone, and to protect the queen.

We also mark any unmarked queens, and practice on drones.