From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2020 15:13:04 -0400
I am getting a lot of questions from new beekeepers on when and how to treat new packages and nucs for mites.

Randy, I believe you observed reduction in spring brood if the colony had been given OA dribble? Presumably when OA found its way into brood food?

Many are planning multiple OAV on packages: I am concerned that if OAV impacts open brood the critical buildup phase of the packages will be impeded.

So my questions to the experts are;

1. By what mechanism does OAV and/or OA Dribble kill Varroa mites? (knowing that would inform management decisions)

2. What effect does OAV have on brood?

3. What effect does OA dribble have on brood?

Many thanks, all,
Janet