From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2019 02:23:08 -0500
<<Is it true that the region is lacking Tilia, Robinia, etc. that are common throughout the northeast?>>

Correct. We do not have Tilia or Robinia in this part of North America.

When I said “most important floral species re. nectar and pollen,” this is based on observations by beekeepers here. We have never had any research done on floral sources which is why I’m interested in palynology.  Proper documentation of honey bee nectar/pollen sources is on the Newfoundland and Labrador Beekeeping Associations’ research priority list.

A more detailed inventory of our nectar/pollen sources can be found here - http://www.nlbeekeeping.ca/beekeepers-corner/bee-forage/wild-plant-species/  and here - http://www.nlbeekeeping.ca/beekeepers-corner/bee-forage/domesticated-plant-species/

But note that in order for a species to make it onto these two lists, a honey bee only had to have been photographed on a given nectar/pollen source. A given species’ inclusion in the photo inventory does not mean it’s necessarily an important source of nectar or pollen (e.g., buttercup, Ranunculus sp.).