From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2019 13:05:12 -0500
I had a look at the various pollen data bases mentioned in previous posts to this thread as well as some others I found online.  I went looking for data and pollen photos related to the most important floral species for honey bees in Newfoundland (see below).

This URL will direct you to a table that shows the results of my search for pollen imagery relevant to our floral species.
https://fourcousinshoney.ca/data/documents/hb-forage-species-pollens-in-on-line-data-bases-cataloguespa2.pdf

I’d say we need to develop a pollen reference library for our bees in this place. Perhaps we could add to one of the existing data bases. More research required.

Our most important floral species re. nectar and pollen are  Bog Aster (Oclemena nemoralis), Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara L.), Common Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale Weber), Cow Vetch (Vicia cracca L.), Fireweed (Chamerion angustifolium), Lance-leaved Goldenrod (Euthamia graminifolia), Mountain Alder (Alnus crispa), Mouse-ear Hawkweed (Hieracium pilosella), Pussy Willow (Salix discolor), Red Maple (Acer rubrum), Rough-stemmed Goldenrod (Solidago rugosa), Speckled Alder (Alnus rugosa), and White Clover (Trifolium repens).