Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2022 00:43:59 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
My AOL didn't erase the message that I was agreeing with, and it looks like Bee-L Moderators missed the unnecessary quote. My apologies.

I disagree about whether the clarification about the video's author. should be included.  Anyone can say anything on a YouTube post, and it isn't necessarily true.  
There's no reason to believe that all of us wouldn't have heard of rampant anaphylactic shock cases associated with bee stings, if this were true everywhere.  The clubs would be gossiping, someone would have noticed.  More whistle blowers would have popped up.  Multiple cases per shift is too extreme not to be reported, whether officially or via back channels.   
I agree that there's a very good chance that worldwide the numbers of cases may be increasing and probably have over the last decade.  Since 2006, with the SAVE the BEES flag waving, the numbers of hobby beekeepers has increased dramatically.  Even if the percentage of cases among these new beekeepers has remained the same as for previous decades, the numbers of actual cases should increase at a rate similar to the rate of increasing in beekeeping/beekeepers.
Many of you know that we require the students in our ONLINE Beekeeping program to complete either an experimental or a literature-based research project and write it up as a technical report.  Generally, they do a surprisingly good job.  They have to include citations in a standard format.  They are expected to find original research.  Some dig really deep into the literature - we give them full access to the University library for the third-level course.  A few tend to just read a couple of books by people like Tom Seeley or Mark Winston or the Hive and the Honey Bee, and they are downgraded accordingly.  The exercise is intended to force them to go to the original research and best practices, not rely on someone else's summary.
However, recently I got a paper that caused some head scratching.   The report was laid out appropriately, had an abstract, materials and methods, discussion, and conclusions and references.  Some of the references were based on known, published, scientists.  Yet the results and conclusions amazed me!!  If these were correct, I'd have to re-think just about everything I knew about bees and acoustics   
It took me a bit, but I discovered that these amazing results were based on a single reference inserted amongst the peer-reviewed papers by established researchers.  I then found that the author's of this remarkable discovery were not named.  And I found that the reference could be traced back to a surprising origin.   A tile company that boasted of their environmental sensitivity, one that wanted to sell tiles to people who appreciated the value of nature, people who would understand the value of bees and how close we are to them?   As such, the company provided a list of things that bees could do (that no one else has ever known that they could do!).  It was a really interesting list, one that told about capabilities I'd never even thought about nor heard about.   Unfortunately, the authors were not identified, the research was not described, but the results were 'published' on the ceramic tile companies web site!
Having conducted some very unusual research myself,  I had to admit that I'd been bested by the tile company.
Jerry

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2