From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:00:37 -0400
Several years ago I was asked to judge a theists for our state's master program. The author claimed to have discovered a "feral" colony of German black bees that according to community reports had been living in a church belfry for years. This church was in a densely populated urban area. I questioned how it was determined that they were German black bees?  Answer they were black. I opined that in order to maintain a distinct line in a given area there would have to be a viable breeding population and that that population would have to maintain bloodlines without out-breeding with the local managed and "escaped" (my term) stocks. Were any other German black bee colonys found in the local area? Answer no.

My opinion is that there are few geographic areas in North America that are large enough and also have sufficient  resources to support a breeding population of feral honey bees that are not also populated by our beloved All American Mutts, managed and escaped. A free living colony (great name) is only one that has survived long enough to be found. I am unaware of any that have proven to have varroa resistance or any other valuable trait once brought into management.

Would love to hear other opinions.

Paul