From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:17:42 -0700
 Every article and grant application uses the "decline of the honey bee"
catch phrase.  The sticking point here is the use of the word "decline,"
which is defined as "a gradual and continuous loss of strength, numbers,
quality, or value."

The number of managed colonies has not declined, and is growing in this
country and worldwide.  So the word "decline" is clearly being misused.
The number of unmanaged colonies has rebounded or increased in the southern
states, with the invasion of Africanized bloodlines.  And in some northern
areas, the feral population also appears to have rebounded.

The above is not to say that life is not more difficult for honey bees or
beekeepers.  Due to varroa, associated viruses,  continually-evolving
pathogens, lack of forage, and CO2-induced weather extremes, the
environment and pathogen situation is indeed tougher for both feral and
managed bees (and their keepers).

That said, for those beekeepers who practice adequate mite management,
beekeeping is not that more difficult than it was back in the "good old
days," nor is our "colony loss" rate.  And beekeeping can certainly be more
profitable than it used to be, since the value of hives, queens, nucs, and
pollination services has increased at a greater rate than inflation.  My
sons and I are able to sell at least one booming nuc each year from every
hive that we take to almonds, as well as remake our numbers for the next
year.  So we have consistently doubled the number of our hives every year
for decades, and we don't even use any synthetic miticides.  This despite a
16-year drought in California.

So yes, beekeeping is more challenging these days, and requires the
addition of varroa management, and perhaps some supplemental feeding, but
neither hive numbers nor honey bees as a species have "declined."

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450
ScientificBeekeeping.com