Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:23:40 -0400
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1352 bytes) , IMG_0992.HEIC (620 kB) , IMG_0991.HEIC (1 MB)
Just starting to work on the second phase of my honey study.

I am currently looking at studies focused on sugar types/ and other compounds in honey and where they come from (plants, synthesized by bees or honeydew insects, under misc climatic conditions). I was reading up melezitose again and this study from New Zealand popped up. It shows a frame of crystallized honey. It also mentioned the relationship between high Malic acid and willow honeydew honey which lines up perfectly with one of my honey types.

I have never had crystallized honey in my frames before (12 years). I am also noticing the same in some of my gut sampling (different cubic and rectangular crystals. If people are willing to share pictures of frames it would be interesting to see if the if the crystallization looks the same (observationally) for the various nectar sources. Has anyone seen sugar syrup "honey" crystallize in the frames?

Referenced Paper:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312872267_Potential_impacts_of_Tuberolachnus_salignus_giant_willow_aphid_in_New_Zealand_and_options_for_control_Impacts_of_giant_willow_aphid_in_NZ

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2