From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2020 16:21:18 +0000
>AirTags - find your stuff

Apple appears to be getting closer to launching its long-awaited AirTags, based on iOS 14 code snippets.<
Apple is very late to this game.  For example, Tile tags have been available for some years, carried by Best Buy, Amazon, etc.
These tags work in urban areas, if other users are nearby, have a Tile  system, and use it.  The technology relies on networking with other Tile/phone users.  Tile started with iPhone, recently added Android.
I bought some Tile tags, and I found them to be very limited:1) When I put a tag on my truck keys and laid them on my kitchen counter, the Tile could be beeped to locate, since it was 'close'.  The beep was so weak, I couldn't hear it, and it was at a high frequency, which is a bad choice for old folks.  Even on the same floor of my house, I couldn't hear it.2) Not to worry, my phone was supposed to show me where it was. My phone reported that my  keys were out in the street in front of my neighbor's house - so much for accuracy.3) How well this type of system works depends on how many users in an area are actually using the system, have the software activated, etc.   A map of my city showed big holes in the distribution of users.
Having proven to be useless in my house, the next time I was out yonder in a more rural part of the state I tried it - nada; no users nearby with which to network.
I suspect that the Tile system would work better in a big, urban area, where number of users was far greater and denser.  In Montana, it wasn't worth the price.  Hopefully the Apple clone will work better.