From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 15:21:53 -0500
I guess this exercise is bringing up many questions in my head. Here are 2:

1) What is the typical orientation of comb in regards to entrance direction in natural cavities (Parallel or perpendicular)? This has important passive air movement implications for bottom entrance only hives. This might also show why slatted racks are good or bad under certain conditions (prevent natural air flow to manage humidity - this maybe be good or bad).  I just checked at The Lives of Bees T Seeley (no mention of direction) and googled natural nest images (most show perpendicular to entrance).

2) CO2 is heavier than air so it will drop to the bottom of a hive (technically speaking) if bees don't have active/passive way of controlling internal levels? Have any studies looked at /compared CO2 levels within the hives under different weather conditions when the hive has both a top and lower entrance / a top only entrance (simulated bottom entrance being blocked / and only a bottom entrance.

My thought was that if suffocation was by CO2 poisoning and the subsequent rapid cool down of hive would cause much moisture to condense out (symptom:  dead wet bees), are any of the northern prairie beekeepers using 4 packs where the lower entrance often gets covered and sometimes also the top one. Are they using back door screened vent holes to ensure CO2 can naturally flow out? I use my open screened bottom board only exposed to "air from inside the wrapping for this scenario).
my google search brought up a few possible studies but at $50 I'll see if anyone knows the answer.

Thank you