From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:52:50 -0500
I decided to start a new thread on this topic.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1REZiCKBZTsHKQpSOfvnHConPYDRLDgTA

I attached a link of my "current" hive monitoring experiment in relation to wintering in the cold. (Typos still included)
Last night (2 nights in a row), I geeked out and crunched/graphed some numbers. I graphed temperature/humidity profiles, calculated condensation/dew point cross-overs over time, based on hourly internal RH and know sensor location and external temperatures. I have early simplified heat loss numbers that should be able to relate proportionally to the colonies metabolic rate (add variable R and cluster size to do sensitivity reviews). I am currently setting up a control setup to learn more about honey frames as heat sinks. I am roughly able to understand cluster location and early observations show that it moves around (my theory) to create various "air current/hot air rising" to manage moisture and pre-heat honey frames for passively re-charging the honey frames (thermal battery) and likely to make them more readily available as food.

Hopefully tonight I can get some numbers crunched on my "Nosema" hive, my single brood hive/with a slatted rack and my 8 frame nuc.

I am then hoping to link this exercise with my weather modelling approach to forecast/predict.

I still have a few evenings of works to reach my initial end goal. Setup templates and approach for the early spring winter data review.

My Goals are to: (To find practical applications)
-Understand and quantify the positive impact of shared hive wall
-Learn more about humidity control, condensation and Dew Point within the hive Cluster  movement and its impact on internal temperature profile and air movement (My theory: cluster moves around to affect air movement, to manage moisture as well as pre-heat “cold honey” to make it available and ensure it will act as a thermal buffer)
-Understand importance of “adequate” honey stores for more than just a source of pure heat energy but from a thermodynamic perspective (e.g. heat sink, buffering of extreme cold temperatures, insulation)
-Calculate “energy” to maintain internal wall temp VS Texteriour heat loss balance (Simplified) ~ proportional~ Metabolic rate of bee cluster
-Compare Double Brood Box to Single Brood Box config
-Observe and try to understand hive monitoring queues for disease (H1 with a central sensor has severe Nosema). What does Nosema C look like from a wintering impact perspective? (thermoregulation, humidity control and impact of increased mortality - counting dead bees)
-5 Frame Nuc performance To Date
-Based on findings I can posit the potential impacts (positive/negative) of using a top entrance under different conditions
-Identify further more detailed research ideas for more detailed investigation

I am always looking for ideas or comments