Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2020 08:06:49 -0500
Sender:
From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
> 1885...
>
> (note: this conflict was mainly between grape
> growers and beekeepers, as they believed
> that bees attack the ripe fruit)

...plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!

 Over 100 years later, circa 2009-2011, mandarin orange groves in CA planted by the corporate farm, Paramount Citrus, run by Lynda and Stewart Resnick, were planted with male and female trees far too close together against the advice of experts flown in from South Africa, and predictably had some unwanted seeds.  So the Resnicks had their lawyers and lobbyists try to outlaw beekeeping within so many feet of a mandarin orange grove.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2009-jan-20-fi-bees20-story.html
https://tinyurl.com/y5fya5d7

An interim "settlement" was made where the growers would tent trees, but the basic problem here was not planting the trees properly distanced in the first place.

(The Resnicks also brought you "POM Wonderful Pomegranate products, and "Fiji Water", the water with the most massive carbon footprint possible, bottled in Fiji, where many of the residents still don't have clean running water, and air-freighted back to the USA and Europe.  From Fiji !!! 1,300 miles due North of New Zealand!!!  And its just... WATER!  I spoke at an environmental science seminar in Brussels Belgium, where a bottle of Fiji water was placed at the podium, and more were available at side tables with coffee and such.  You can imagine how I started my talk  before we got back on track and onto the subject of bees, and then penguins, who are in far worse shape than the bees have ever been.)