From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2022 16:51:25 -0400
Pattern recognition sometimes requires very little.

My St. Bernard, Gus was renowned among my freinds for being my assistant when I readied cars for rallying.  But even he was not perfect, as I would be under a car, and ask him to hand me a 5/16ths Whitworth wrench, and I would have to correct him, as he would sometimes hand me a 3/8ths Whitworth.

But the pattern being matched here was far simpler than my friends realized -  "Hand me" was a command to hand me ANY  OBJECT from among the array of tools laid on the floor by the car.  My friends did not know the difference between a 5/16ths Whitworth and a Phillips screwdriver, so they were convinced my dog knew tools, when the whole trick was that they did not.

The moral here is that the actual pattern is often far simpler than the observer thinks it is, hence the simple "flower as bullseye" decoration scheme for most all flowers.