From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:49:52 -0700
>The amount of water vapor that air can carry (the so-called "humidity
capacity") is strictly a function of temperature. As temperature decreases,
so does its ability to hold water vapor "in suspension in the air".

Not looking for an argument, but don't the gas laws still apply?
"Air" does not "carry" water vapor nor "hold it in suspension"; water vapor
diffuses into space, relative to temperature.  If other gases are present,
such as oxygen or nitrogen, they will be displaced by water vapor until
equilibrium is reached, dependent upon their vapor pressures, as per the
gas laws.

>See above, you can calculate that yourself.

Thanks! I wasn't looking for calculations, I've already done plenty.
What I would like to do is to shift from theoretical "discussion," to
collecting hard data.
I'm asking for reports from beekeepers who actually observe condensation
issues in their colonies, and who find benefit from top ventilation.  I am
specifically asking for ambient temperature and humidity readings, so that
we can run trials in an environmental chamber set up with the right
instrumentation and water collection devices.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450
ScientificBeekeeping.com