From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:15:51 -0700
>Again, both can be "optimal" depending upon how damp one area is versus
another.

The word "damp," as it relates to overwintering needs more explanation.
In my area, as well as in parts of Oregon and Washington, it may rain every
day for a month during spring.  That is damp.  Yet my healthy colonies have
no problem with moisture in the hive.
In other areas, where it is colder in winter, I would expect the ambient
absolute humidity to be much lower, and if any of that air entered a hive,
the resultant slight warming would drop that air's relative humidity
substantially.
What it appears to boil down to is dewpoint and outer cluster temperature
(which remains constant at around 50-55F).

A relatively simple experiment to do would be to control external variables
by placing colonies in a temperature and humidity controlled enclosure to
replicate a cold "damp" area.  It would then be easy to measure in-hive
condensation with aluminum collector plates, as well as test various
ventilation configurations.

Could those on the List who keep bees in areas of "winter dampness", and
who also experience in-hive moisture problems please forward me the
temperatures and RH or dewpoint measurements at which in-hive condensation
becomes an issue?

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450